Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of California--Davis
- Physics of complex electron systems; strongly correlated transition metal oxides (colossal magnetoresitive manganites, cuprate high temperature superconductors, cobalt oxides), Fe-based high temperature superconductors, binary oxides (VOx, V2O3, EuO, CrO)
- Physics of novel materials and novel materials characterization methodology; Materials for energy storage (cobaltites, delafossites, co-doped TiO2), and technological applications such as sensors, electronics, and displays (transparent conducting oxides)
- Properties, growth, and characterization of low dimensional materials, nanostructures, surfaces and interfaces in materials of technological relevance
- Light-matter interaction and physics of the fundamental processes concerning the use and development of soft-x-ray spectroscopies techniques; high-resolution angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES), core level photoemission spectroscopy, x-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS), soft x-ray emission spectroscopy (XES) and inelastic x-ray scattering (RIXS); development of advanced scientific instrumentation for x-ray spectroscopies
- Atomic, electronic, magnetic and orbital dynamics in complex electron systems; sub-picoseconds temporal dynamics of different degrees of freedom in complex electron systems; phase transitions.
X-Ray Absorption Spectroscopy of Ba(Fe1-XCox)2As2 Superconductors: Electronic Structure, Orbital Symmetry and Bonding Topology, C. Parks Cheney, F. Bondino, T. A. Callcott, P. Vilmercati, D. Ederer, F. Parmigiani, W. L. Yang, A. S. Sefat, M. A. McGuire, R. Jin, B. C. Sales, D. Mandrus, D. J. Singh, J. W. Freeland, and N. Mannella. Phys. Rev. B 81, 104518 (2010) .
Universal versus Material-Dependent Two-Gap Behaviors of the High-Tc Cuprate Superconductors: Angle-Resolved Photoemission Study of La2-xSrxCuO4, T. Yoshida, M. Hashimoto, S. Ideta, A. Fujimori, K. Tanaka, N. Mannella, Z. Hussain, Z.-X. Shen, M. Kubota, K. Ono, Seiki Komiya, Yoichi Ando, H. Eisaki, and S. Uchida. Physical Review Letters 103, 037004 (2009) .
Evidence for three-dimensional Fermi-surface topology of the layered electron-doped iron superconductor Ba(Fe1−xCox)2As2, P. Vilmercati, A. Fedorov, I. Vobornik, U. Manju, G. Panaccione, A. Goldoni, A. S. Sefat, M. A. McGuire, B. C. Sales, R. Jin, D. Mandrus, D. J. Singh, and N. Mannella. Physical Review B 79, 220503(R) (2009) .
Energy gaps in the failed high-Tc superconductor La1.875Ba0.125CuO4, Rui-Hua He, Kiyohisa Tanaka, Sung-Kwan Mo, Takao Sasagawa, Masaki Fujita, Tadashi Adachi, Norman Mannella, Kazuyoshi Yamada, Yoji Koike, Zahid Hussain and Zhi-Xun Shen. Nature Physics 5, 119 (2009).
Evidence for Strong Itinerant Spin Fluctuations in the Normal State of CeFeAsO0.89F0.11 Iron-Oxypnictide Superconductors, F. Bondino, E. Magnano, M. Malvestuto, F. Parmigiani, M. A. McGuire, A. S. Sefat, B. C. Sales, R. Jin, D. Mandrus, E. W. Plummer, D. J. Singh, and N. Mannella. Physical Review Letters 101, 267001 (2008).
Temperature-dependent electronic structure of the colossal magnetoresistive manganite La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 from hard x-ray photoemission, F. Offi, N. Mannella, T. Pardini, G. Panaccione, A. Fondacaro, P. Torelli, M. W. West, J. F. Mitchell, and C. S. Fadley. Physical Review B 77, 174422 (2008).
2641 Osprey Vista Way
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37920 (USA)